|Coptic End Band|
|In the beginnin....7 1/2" x 5" - 11 signatures - 4 sheets/8 pages|
This stitch is frustrating. And while I eventually "got it" I didn't like the looks of it. So I took it apart and decided I needed the solitude of my studio (and probably a couple of days) to figure it out so I took it home to conquer.
A couple items to note:
- The size of the thread and degree of waxing on the thread makes a difference in the appearance and workability of the Coptic End Band. I changed from a heavily waxed linen thread to a lesser waxed and more rounded thread and it made a big difference.
- The width of the board also makes a difference. The wider the board the better to see the stitches (good or bad). I'm sure with experience it may not matter so much.
- This size book took 91" of thread per end! I ran out of my first length of the Burgundy (hence the blue on the bottom) about 2/3 the way thru the top stitching. I had enough on hand to just finish the top, adding it via a weaver's knot in one of the last signatures before proceeding to the back cover.
- Being brand new to this - I discovered I really needed to concentrate - without distractions (like TV, music, most beloved husband, etc.).
I couldn't leave well enough alone...
- I cut and rounded a strip of Balsa Wood, just long enough to fit the spine between the chain stitches and covered it with a piece of card stock. This was glued to the center of the Japanese paper.
- The Japanese paper was glued to the covers, over the spine, beginning 1 11/16" from the fore edge of the front cover - using PVA glue.
- I cut and shaped two pieces of 1/4" balsa wood for the front and back covers.
- Balsa Wood is very soft and easily marred. To circumvent any noticeable dings in the future, I used a decorative hammer to mark it up after painting the wood with black acrylic.
- The wood pieces were glued to the covers, over the Japanese papaer, matching up at the edge of the spine extending towards the fore edge about 3 3/8". I used Ultimate Glue.
- I drew the dragonfly with Prismacolor black pens, colored it with colored pencils and spritzed the drawing with FW shimmering acrylic ink.
Had I been as concerned with design as I had been about conquering the Coptic End Band I probably would have continued the black branches from the Japanese paper pattern over to the drawing for the dragonfly vs green vegetation - duh.
AND - in hindsight I wouldn't have experimented with rounding the spine between the chain stitches. It caused a little tearing in the paper where the thread comes thru.